I posted this recipe on the blog last year and it got rave reviews. David told me that when his wife made it, "It tasted like a party in my mouth". I'll never forget that!
If you've never tried eggplant before, this would be a great recipe to try for the first time. Seasoned eggplant lovers are going to love this as well.
Party in My Mouth Pasta Sauce
- 1.5 lb tomatoes (3-4 fist-sized tomatoes)
- 1 eggplant (1/2 lb-1 lb depending on size of eggplant)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper or 2 smaller peppers, any kind you like
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 T. oil
- a few leaves of basil, minced*
- a few leaves of parsley, minced*
- a few leaves of oregano, minced*
- a sprig of thyme with the leaves removed*
- 1/4+1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
Preheat oven to 425.
Cut the tomatoes, peppers, and onions into 1" pieces. Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/2" cubes.
Lay all the vegetables- including the whole garlic cloves- in a single layer on a baking sheet (you many need two pans). Drizzle with oil and mix to evenly coat the vegetables.
Roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir. Roast for 15 more minutes or until the vegetables are tender and brown around the edges.
Place all the vegetables in a food processor or blender with the herbs, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup broth and pulse briefly until it become a thick chunky sauce. You can continue to process it depending on how thick or chunky you would like it. Add an additional 1/4 cup broth if you would like to thin it out more.
Serve over pasta, spiralized summer squash, or quinoa, or use as a cracker dip!
Leave a comment if you make this!